Bengals From Both Angles: At Issue – Student safety Isabel Herrera, Staff Writer

Katrina Beier, Staff Writer

Students go to school and learn. Teachers go to school and teach.

The main focus of staff members should be educating students. They should not have to stress about the safety of their students from a mass shooting.

A school day should focus on learning and not on how to survive a shooting.

Everyone is different.

Teaching all students to sit in a corner and hide is not what everyone prefers. Some students and their families may prefer that students find a way out rather than be sitting ducks.

The socioeconomic status of each school and its location may also put students at an unfair disadvantage.

Wealthier schools have more money and resources to keep children safe while less fortunate schools may not.

Those wealthy schools could hire more police officers and invest in other building improvements or programs that could potentially keep students safe. On the other hand, schools in poorer neighborhoods may not have these resources.

In communities where violence is more prevalent, the community may know how to handle these types of situations. People in schools in low crime areas may have little knowledge about gun violence and how to handle it.

If families came together to keep their children safe, many problems could be resolved. Families can make plans that fit the needs of every family to protect their children.

Students and their families could make their decision on how to react in case of a mass shooting. Some students and their families could invest in items such as a tourniquet, a first aid kit, or a bulletproof backpack to keep students safe and prepared.

Each student is different.

Some may be more ambitious and want to have those tools to keep themselves and others safe. Those decisions need to be up to families.

Decisions related to school shooting can be difference between life and death, so families should be more involved.