Boys Cross Country: Ryan Dungo

Rayne Branch, Sports Editor

What is your goal for this season?

As a captain, improve everyone on the team. It means a lot to me to improve their times more than it does my own.

When did you start running competitively?

I started running in eighth grade actually. I started running because I had never done a sport in middle school, so I wanted to do cross country. I’ve just loved the sport from then on.

What drives you to run?

Honestly, just my teammates and coaches. Everything they do from the practices and bus rides to the time they spend with me. It is just so much more meaningful to run for people you care about and for fun.

How has being a student athlete shaped you into who you are today?

It’s made me more of an adult when it comes to time management. Running is a mentally ruling sport, so it is mentally taxing. On top of school and a job, it definitely prepares you for the world. That’s a good thing.

How would you describe yourself in one sentence?

I want to see others around me perform the best.

What’s the hardest workout you’ve run?

We do this eight-mile run through the Lakelands. What’s hard about it is not just the mileage, but like staying motivated. It’s easy to want to slow down, to want to give up, but when you see your teammates and everyone working as hard as you, it really pushes you.

What do you do to get ready for big races?

We do warm-up jogs, last-minute encouragement, and cheer on each other during the race as well. Anything we can to get everyone mentally prepared for the race.

Do you anticipate running in college?

Most likely yes. I will run in Cross Country, but I don’t know if it will change what college I go to. I won’t go out of my way to go to one of the top running schools.

What has been the highlight of your running career in high school so far?

Just competing and training for all my coaches, all of them have been amazing and taught me new things.

Any closing statements?

Try out for Cross Country. It’s more fun than people think. It’s not just running for fun. There is a family aspect because, even when I’m gone, it will still be a family. What [exists] today [is] because of what me and the other seniors left behind.