Staff Editorial: Dress to express and impress

Halloween is just around the corner as people celebrate by decorating houses and trick-or-treating.

For teens, a main attraction is not all the candy; it is the costumes.

Dressing up in different outfits makes this unique holiday a day of free expression; people can go all out.

While Plainfield East administrators previously did not allow students to dress in costume on Oct. 31 at school, that changes this year.

Good. It is time.

“We just want everyone to have fun. We want students to be able to show their maturity and have fun with it,” Assistant Principal Michael Romeli said.

High schoolers are still children.

They deserve their chance to have fun at school.

Not ever teen goes trick-or-treating or to haunted houses, but everyone can wear a costume.

During homecoming week, many students wore various themed outfits, some which bordered on costumes. Students dressed in pajamas one day, their class colors another day, and as movie or tv characters or media influencers the next day.

There is no reason, then, as to why teens should not be allowed to dress in costume on Halloween.

Romeli said, “I think our homecoming week was phenomenal. Not only with costumes but with total participation, and kids were acting mature and had a lot of school spirit.”

As long as dress rules are followed, there should not be any issues with students simply putting on a costume and enjoying the holiday.

If students dress provocatively, they will need to change their outfit. Just like any other day of the school year.

Students who do not break the rules should not suffer just because others do not follow the rules. On this day, students can now enjoy the same fun they used to have when they were younger.

In high school, students experience a specific regiment of studying and preparing for tests and quizzes. However, dressing up for Halloween will provide students with a healthy break and might relieve some stress.

So, go ahead.

Express yourself. Have fun.

“I don’t foresee any problems with it,” Romeli said.

Neither do we.