Retired D. 202 administrator and former East Principal wins National LifeChanger of the Year Award

Plainfield – Tony Manville, former District 202 assistant superintendent for administration and personnel, has won the 2020-2021 national LifeChanger of the Year Capstone award.

The award is designated for educators retiring at the end of the 2019-20 school year. Manville retired June 30, 2020 after 32 years in public education, including 21 years with District 202.

Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.

The Capstone Award specifically honors retiring educators who have made a difference in the lives of students throughout their careers.

Manville will receive a $3,000 prize, which will be awarded as a $1,500 individual prize and a $1,500 donation to District 202. National Life Group representative Cathy Fetzer presented him with the Capstone award at the Board of Education’s August 17, 2020 regular meeting.

Manville’s colleague Cindy Westfall nominated him for his exemplary leadership. Manville taught social studies and psychology and coached baseball for several years before opening and leading several District 202 schools during a period of extreme growth.

Manville served assistant principal for a year and then principal for four years of Drauden Point Middle School before opening Plainfield East High School in 2008. He has served as assistant superintendent since 2016.

In her nomination, Westfall praised Manville’s ability to build strong relationships with students, families, employees, and peers.

About LifeChanger of the Year

Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the very best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in the lives of students by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.

Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees.

To be considered for an award, nominees must:

• make a positive impact in the lives of students
  • enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture, and pride
  • demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level possess a proven record of professional excellence
  • show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning, and
  • adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards

Tom Hernandez

Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202

Director of Community Relations

FOIA Officer

(815) 577-4008 (desk)

(815) 514-5409 (cell)

[email protected]