Club sponsors receive approval for online meetings

With school buildings closed and classes in SD202 being taught remotely, it has become more difficult for students to engage in the social aspect of school and make new friends.

However, even during this time of uncertainty, plans to run clubs and sports in the safest manner possible have been made, so students can once again enjoy participating in a school activity other than academics with people who share their interests.

When the school year started, several low-risk sports teams began the season with a few modifications and heightened safety guidelines, whereas information about whether clubs would be available was unclear.

However, most club sponsors have recently been given approval to meet with students virtually. Students are now encouraged to complete a Google form indicating their interest in specific clubs. 

To fill out the form, https://forms.gle/UKScE5KqRnhHoDxn8, students must be logged into their own PSD202.org account on Google. The form is also on most, if not all, Google Classroom sites.

Students are now encouraged to complete a Google form indicating their interest in specific clubs.  To fill out the form,

https://forms.gle/UKScE5KqRnhHoDxn8, students must be logged into their own PSD202.org account on Google. The form is also on most, if not all, Google Classroom sites.

Assistant Athletic Director Anthony Waznonis said, “All the sponsors have been outstanding about getting those plans to myself and Dr. [Joe] O’Brien, our principal, so that we can get them to the district office.”

Waznonis said, as of Oct. 6, 740 students have completed the form and expressed interest in joining clubs and activities.

Clubs such as Science Olympiad, Speech Team, Journalism, and the Spring Musical had ended abruptly last spring before the students’ final performance, project, or competition. This turn of events affected many students, primarily seniors who may have been looking forward to a sweet ending of their final year. 

“For some people, Science Olympiad is [very important] to them… You know, there are [three students] who are going to be the first three students to ever compete all four years… So to have their senior year canceled like [that], that’s not cool,” Rebecca Scott, sponsor of Science Olympiad, said. 

Virtual clubs will not only give students the chance to take a break from their academics and relax, it will also allow students to participate in their clubs again.

“I think the main struggle would be that it’s just not the same as seeing students in person,” Katherine Fairfield, sponsor of Speech Team and Poetry Club, said. 

“We want to make sure we do it the right way so that we have the right amount of engagement… How many kids are gonna want to participate- we hope that they want to, but we want to figure out the best way to do it,” Emily Tonon, sponsor of NAHS, Tech Crew, and Yearbook, said.

Despite the challenges clubs will face, sponsors find the importance of keeping clubs running this year.

¨Reaching out and connecting to people is more important now than ever since we are all remote, and I want to provide a place for students to make those connections,” Cortney Troy, sponsor of World Language Club and Gay-Straight Alliance, said. 

While clubs and activities can continue virtually this year, the fall play has not been approved as of Oct. 1. Some competitions and performances will also be done virtually, but IHSA has not yet announced specifics about its methodology with competitions.

“I think now, it’s gonna be so important to keep our spirit up because when we’re together, I think that’s gonna be a big challenge. But I think it’s important to still feel like you’re part of the school community,” Cindy Egizio, co-sponsor of NAHS and Student Council, said.