Quadruplets conquer family, college, misconceptions

Zaara Syeda, Staff Writer

As quadruplets Samuele, Gabriella, Sabrina, and Marcy Longo end senior year, they talked with East Side News about how their experiences as quadruplets shaped them into who they are today. 

What is challenging about being quadruplets?

Gabriella Longo: … Other people [make] it almost bigger than it actually is, so it almost feels like you’re a circus animal rather than just like a regular person. But that’s just like in first encounters mostly, and like getting past that is kind of a challenge sometimes.

Marcy Longo: … It took me a while to finally differentiate myself from [my siblings], not like I don’t want to be like the others, but it’s okay not to be the same as everyone else. …

When are you glad to be quadruplets?

Sabrina: During the pandemic, like oh my gosh, I was so thankful I had people around me that were my age. Like no offense to my parents, but like there’s like a disconnect ‘cause they’re so much older right? … So having the people I could tell ‘This is bothering me’ or ‘I’m going through a rough time right now.’ Also with harder classes, like physics, Sam helped me … We constantly help each other and teach each other material that maybe we missed in class. 

Gabriella: … I feel like I can say anything or share anything I’d like or … been pressured in me, and I know that they won’t judge. I feel like we can be very vulnerable to each other and get the support that we need from each other and enjoy each other’s presence.

What are your future plans?

Samuele: The plan right now is that Sabrina, Gabby, and I are all going to University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, and Marcy’s going to Loyola in Chicago. …

What are some misconceptions people may have about being quadruplets?

Samuele: A lot of the time, people think that it’s impossible to get along with each other … Like it’s not hard ‘cause you grew up with each other and not only that, you’re the same age … So it’s not hard getting along at all. We barely fight, and if it is a fight, it’s just like a small bicker about stupid stuff. It resolves very quickly like barely with any effort. 

Gabriella: A common question that we get asked is ‘Who’s your favorite sibling?’… I get along with all my siblings equally. …

Samuele: … People often ask me, ‘Oh. How do you deal with having girls as siblings?’ … I’d rather have female siblings and not male siblings just because … I learn more empathy, and I just feel I learn a lot more from you guys. …

Marcy: I feel like a lot of people think that we don’t stay apart from each other. I know especially like in kindergarten it was kind of an issue. Like ‘Oh. Do you want your children to be in the same classes or separate classes?’ I feel like a lot of people think we always have to stay together, or we’re always the same, which… isn’t really true. You can have siblings the same age, born on the same day and be completely different from each other. …

How does having so many siblings of the same year and age shape your daily life?

Samuele: I think being a quadruplet and … living in a big household … teaches you very quickly to value others over yourself sometimes and realize that the decisions you make affect other people … not a lot of other people have that opportunity to understand that so early in life. …

Gabriella: I remember over remote learning we got very close with each other because … during that time, and obviously still, each other is all we have really … that’s secure and something we can count on. …

How would life be if you weren’t a quadruplet?

Samuele: I think it would suck. … So many things I learned and who I am today … is dependent on the fact I’m a quadruplet … like being conscious of your actions and how that affects other people … I feel like I’ve learned all that just from being a quadruplet. … 

Sabrina: Respectfully … I feel like being an only child would be boring. … And it’s a very natural relationship since we’re all the same age, especially with how social media is like memes and jokes all the time- always changing- and like they always get it. …

How has it impacted you socially?

Samuele: … It’s impacted me in a way that gives me a fun fact to tell people. … I just think it’s so funny ‘cause people are like ‘Oh my God. Really? Like that’s so crazy.’ … I just get to like sit back and just kind of relive the same moment. …

Sabrina: Sometimes when … somebody figures it out, it … adds a little bit of thrill to my day. And now that’s what they know me for and now they’re kind of interested in who I am. … 

Marcy: … It’s not really negative, but I feel like every time I do something, I always need to be with someone, like I can’t do stuff alone …  But it’s kind of a good thing especially if you’re having like a bad day. Like I feel comfortable enough to rely on other people. …

What is life as a quadruplet like?

Samuele: … Chaotic would be not necessarily the right word to describe it, but I guess I’ll use it.

Sabrina: … It’s chaotic.

Samuele: … It’s chaotic but not …  You have four individual people with their own responsibilities and their own lives trying to coexist in one house and fulfill their responsibilities … But in high school, I feel like it definitely got better and is very manageable at this point. 

Do you have other siblings?

Gabriella: … That’s a question that comes up a lot. When I say ‘No,’ people say almost all the time … ‘That’s enough after four.’ …

Samuele: … I think it’s insulting … Why do you assume that … having children is such a burden? … I mean, not to pat myself on the back or anything but, I feel like our parents are pretty satisfied. They have four children, and we’re going to college. I think it’s a pretty big feat and … something to be proud of. 

Does it get hectic with everyone?

Samuele: … For some reason, people just have this idea that four kids of the same age is somehow more difficult, and I mean it is but more like a financial sense and just kind of like our parents getting kicked in the face like four times in a row other than like separately. Like in terms of college right? They don’t have like a test run kit. They can first send one off and then understand what to do for the next couple kids right? … They kind of get everything all at once, so I guess that does make it more difficult. …

Do you see each other often in school? If so, how does that feel?

Sabrina: Yes, Marcy, Sam, and I have band together … I always like to annoy Sam especially when I see him in the hallways ‘cause it’s funny. Gabby’s near my study hall, so I always like to annoy her. Sometimes I get my teachers in on it. Sometimes they go into her class and tell her to annoy me.

Marcy: … When we’re talking about having a sibling in the same class, I feel like a problem a lot of teachers have with that is, ‘Oh, do I seat them close to each other or far away from each other?’ and I don’t really have a preference. …

How do you get along?

Sabrina: I feel like we get along great. … I love when people ask if we fight. Like obviously, we’re siblings, that’s what you do … obviously I don’t have a favorite, but I feel like every relationship is a little bit different which is cool … We have like our own inside jokes and stuff like that between the four of us and between each of us, so it’s pretty cool. 

How are you all involved in music?

Gabriella: Sam, Sabrina, and Marcy are all in band, and somehow … I just ended up being in choir … I feel like that’s helped me find who I am as a person. …

Samuele: … Having siblings definitely creates that extra motivation to make sure you’re doing the best you can. 

Anything you’d like to add?

Sabrina: Our mom works here as a cafeteria lady who passes out breakfast so shout out to her. She’s cool.

Samuele: I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed being at East and being able to, like grow with all of my siblings … I’m just very happy I got to share my educational experience. …

Marcy: I feel like if I didn’t have a bunch of siblings to … ride along the journey of senior year with me, I don’t know how I would have done it. …

Gabriella: … [My siblings have] all inspired me and kind of made me who I am.