The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

BFBA: Is pumpkin spice overrated?

Starbucks+Pumpkin+Cream+Cold+Brew+
Daniella Torres
Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

Perfectly steamed milk poured into a caffeine-rich espresso shot, mixed with a few semi-sweet pumps of pumpkin syrup, topped with nutty pumpkin cold foam, and finished with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.

Is there anything better?

Our world is divided into two sides: pumpkin lovers versus pumpkin haters, and with the Halloween season drawing near, the demand for delicious pumpkin flavored drinks is at an all-time high.

Pumpkin lovers nationwide have long awaited the return of comforting drinks to accompany the change in weather. For the 2023 fall season, the two largest competing coffee shops release old – as well as new – pumpkin spice favorites.

To the Starbucks menu returns three timeless fall drinks, along with two new options. Dunkin’ Donuts brings back their renditions of their own three tasty pumpkin beverages, and one brand new addition to the menu.

Are all these options necessary? Is the wait worth it? Is the love for pumpkin spice justified?

Yes, yes, and absolutely yes.

Whether one enjoys the taste of pumpkin spice is subjective. What defines something that is overrated?

What determines whether or not pumpkin spice is as good as it’s talked up to be?

The joy is in the small things. The small things that bring comfort and excitement to our mostly boring lives. It is in allowing yourself or others to revel in the little matters that bring cheer. How can something of personal taste be rated at all, much less, overrated?  

Besides, there is nothing better than that first sip of pumpkin coffee as we enter a fresh, crisp autumn season. There are iced options for those cafe study sessions and hot coffee for those chilly fall nights. Pumpkin spice is scrumptious, nostalgic, and soul nourishing.

Because of its limited edition nature, pumpkin spice brings a sort of whimsy that can’t be achieved with any other coffee. We feel the spooky Halloween season approaching and, with it, the familial Thanksgiving and magical Christmas seasons. 

The harmonious blend of coffee beans and pumpkin spice which perfectly compliments each other is worth getting excited for. As the leaves turn gold and the air turns crisp, the cozy season is upon us. 

It’s time to enjoy a little bit of pumpkin spice and everything nice.