The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

FEATURE: Mental health in a relevant perspective

The semicolon represents a pause in someones life due to hardship, but also that they continued on. It is seen as a symbol of hope in mental health struggles. You are not alone in your battle, and as the semicolon portrays, your story is not over.
Mia Graske
The semicolon represents a pause in someone’s life due to hardship, but also that they continued on. It is seen as a symbol of hope in mental health struggles. You are not alone in your battle, and as the semicolon portrays, your story is not over.

More than 700,000 people die from suicide yearly, according to World Health Organization. 

Mental health’s prevalence is real, including at Plainfield East High School (PEHS)

Mental health is officially defined as mental, emotional, and psychological well-being. PEHS recognizes that it is much more.

“It’s to be healthy… It’s taking care of yourself, whatever that means, to be a healthier version or the best version of you. A lot of times it gets overlooked by physical health, but I feel like it’s kind of what causes or helps or hurts our well-being,” said Rebekah Grimes, a social worker at PEHS.

“Mental health impacts everyone,” said leader of Psychology Club and junior, Nora Dietz, “I’ve had several experiences with mental health. It’s really important to me that people are aware of what’s impacting me and what’s impacting the people I care about. It’s important that other people I don’t even know get help as well.”

Mental health is an important aspect of life, making it crucial to reach out when needed.

Receiving help differs from person to person, and is difficult. To help someone who’s having difficulties, it’s important to tell them they are not forsaken.

“I feel like people think that they’re alone, they feel like nobody else understands it. Just giving them that foundation that there are so many people struggling with it as well makes people feel less alone,” Grimes said.

Being an active listener also helps those in need.

“We don’t know what people are going through until they tell us. Letting them know that ‘I’m here for you and I’m going to listen and help you in any way that I can,’ and  just having that non judgemental ear helps,” Grimes said.

Lacking knowledge prevents people from supporting others, and Dietz’s club helps fix that:

“Psychology Club is definitely centered around making sure people understand issues that we’re talking about. We do a lot of things like showing powerpoints on different mental issues, or teaching meditation,” Dietz said.

At PEHS, there are other resources for those struggling, such as Schoolhouse Counseling.

“Schoolhouse Counseling is where an actual, outside-of-us therapist comes in once a week and has a caseload of clients that are students in our building and it’s good for students with transportation issues, time issues, [etc]. It’s like they’re getting signed out to go to an appointment, but they’re physically in the same building,” Grimes said.

When receiving help, remember any step forward is a great step. Keep things positive.

“If you’re getting better after some sort of mental health thing, you’re doing good. A lot of people don’t get past the stage where they are getting better, so just be proud of yourself, keep in mind you’re a strong person for getting to where you are and waking up today,” Dietz said.

Reaching out is important because everyone is worthy of life, and if you or somebody else is in a crisis, contact the crisis line at 741-741 or https://988lifeline.org/ You are loved.