The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

NEWS: Marching band facilitates strong bonds, lessons in leadership

Luna Kenneally
Plainfield East’s band half time show at senior night game against Waubonsie Valley High School on Sept. 1.

Marching band at Plainfield East is an exciting and creative way for students to explore their lifelong passions, build lasting friendships, and develop important leadership skills.

Head marching band director Jenna Wojdula encourages her students to take all they can out of their experiences in marching band.

“I want them to be able to look back on marching band fondly and to remember it as a fun and positive experience. I want them to leave marching band still craving more,” Wojdula said.

Wojdula hopes to leave a lasting impact on all of her students and create memories of a strong community. Drum majors play an important role in facilitating the creation of this community.

“I think this year the energy in the band is very different, in a good way, compared to at least what I experienced last year and the years before that,” said Brooke Majchrowski, senior and drum major.

“I think this year we feel more like a family in a way. We’ve made a lot more fun activities like spirit days and stuff,” Majchrowski says. “The energy is good this year.”

Marching band helps build leadership and other important skills that students can take with them into their lives outside of high school.

“Our main goal is to instill that sense of love for music and that love of band so that when they leave us, when they go off into the real world that they still have that drive,” Wojdula said.

Marching band helps to develop skills like teamwork, perseverance, and leadership. 

“Something we are emphasizing more this year is them [section leaders] stepping up in that leadership role and taking command of their section and bringing that fun,” Wojdula said. “All of the outside rehearsal things that really make marching band memorable are things that are more student-led.”

Positions like drum major impact how those who take on the role think and respond to challenges. 

“There’s a lot of skills I’ve learned from this that I can use in my life now. You just learn to be kinder,” said Kelechi Ohale, junior and drum major.

Those who are drum majors learn important lessons in community and teamwork.

“If you make yourself a safe space for people, it shows, and it’s very rewarding,” said Victoria Gatto, senior and drum major.

Marching band is a positive experience that creates lasting bonds and memories for those who participate.