The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

REVIEW: Mitski inspires new feelings in recent album

Sadie Hamilton
Little guy thinking about the new Mitski album: The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We

Singer-songwriter Mitski Miyawaki– or simply put, Mitski –recently released her seventh studio album, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We (Sept.15) and it’s one of her best yet.

In somewhat of a contrast to her other albums, Mitski creates a light and almost airy tone as she navigates through the magnificent story she’s constructed in The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We. It is truly a breath of fresh air.

This difference is made apparent when albums like Be the Cowboy and Bury Me At Makeout Creek are considered. Both previous albums are extremely heavy in comparison to the atmosphere in The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We.

Mitski excellently explores the complexities of emotion and the back and forth between her positive and negative feelings. Her journey through her own head is narrated exceptionally well with diverse tracks ranging from heart warming love songs like “Heaven” to gut wrenching melodies like “I’m Your Man.”

She portrays the feeling of being in love and how truly beautiful it is. In her song, “My Love Mine All Mine,” Mitski depicts her feelings towards her lover, comparing it to the moon and its light in a beautiful analogy.

Love is a prevalent theme throughout The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We; Mitski states that loving was “the best thing [she] ever did,” explaining her prominent focus on the idea not just in “My Love Mine All Mine,” but throughout several other songs on the album.

Along with themes of love and admiration, Mitski details her struggles with her emotions. This album is one of her most vulnerable pieces thus far. In the song, “I Don’t Like My Mind,” Mitski laments on her regrets and her reluctance to be alone with her thoughts. This song, along with others like “When Memories Snow,” sheds some light on some of her darker feelings.

The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We is a representation of Mitski’s genius as an artist. Mitski’s magic music takes listeners through a complete, beautiful journey of her innermost thoughts and feelings through just 11 songs and 32 minutes.