The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

EDITORIAL BFBA: Teenagers are not too old to go trick or treating

Luna Kenneally
Teenager eagerly awaits sweet treat while trick or treating on Halloween.

The holiday season has always been packed full of nostalgia. Whether it be reminiscing on a favorite type of candy enjoyed during childhood or an awesome costume worn on a particular Halloween night. We can all agree that we miss those special moments we once had in childhood.
But the question remains: when have you become too old to enjoy those same happy moments you had as a kid? Are you too old to go trick-or-treating as a high schooler? Or does this sweet activity turn sour as one grows older?
Most students in their early years of high school relish the thought of just barely experiencing their teenage years. With a majority of freshman being between the ages of 14 or 15, their experiences during the course of being 11 and 12 have not treaded far behind. With that being said, teens should not be assumed as “too old” to go out trick or treating.
Although many students may claim they have grown way past their adolescent years, when you look at mental maturity through a psychological lens, humanity does not fully develop an adult “mind” until reaching 25. Even if teenagers are considered young adults, this growth mindset has affected the way one may perceive traditions such as trick or treating, solely regarding them as something “childish” or “immature.”
The fact is these traditions are targeted towards a specific demographic of individuals, those being younger generations who greatly appreciate receiving free candy. This night is full of tricks and sweet treats. High school students are notorious for pulling the most creative costume and decoration ideas out there. Without the influence of someone much older, the younger generations will not have an example to lead from to have an equally as memorable night once the older generations all grow out of trick or treating.
The stereotype that all teenagers are devious delinquents who, once let loose from high schools, will prey upon the fears of young children is quite dated. In fact, you only see these portrayals in movies that go back decades, such as the 2010 Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie series.
Holiday celebrations should be for all to indulge in and cater to all, regardless of age.