The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

EDITORIAL: Hollow Hollywood drama: Hiss versus Bigfoot

Daniella Torres
Megan Thee Stallion’s “Hiss” and Nicki Minaj’s “Bigfoot” ignite internet feud.

Rappers and snappy lyrics, senseless celebrity drama, diss tracks by Megan Thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj: “Hiss” versus “Bigfoot”. 

It seems every month there is a new dispute between stars and artists with nothing better to do. This frivolous and, quite frankly, immature drama is not worthy of the attention these celebrities so often crave.

2024 launched its start in a jet-fueled feud between the 90s Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj, and this decade’s freshest female rapper, Megan Thee Stallion. The two engaged in a fiery internet drama after Stallion released her bold single “Hiss” on Jan. 26. Minaj, assuming the song’s accusatory lyrics were geared towards her, took to the studio to produce “Bigfoot” (released Jan. 29), dissing Stallion and inciting a whirlwind of rivaling fandoms and a great deal of PR.

The widely popular rappers, with hundreds of millions of followers each, were the talk of internet threads, news sources, and social media platforms – holding a superficial power grip on the public. 

This phenomenal fascination with celebrity drama is not uncommon. With every new “scandal”, Tik Tok tea pages rush to deliver the hottest gossip on this week’s he-said-she-said situation.

While music artists and movie stars squabble over who said what, warfare continues in countries across the world. The earth is in a state of exponential climate change. People are forced to battle every day for equality and survival.

But there is more concern surrounding Nicki Minaj’s petty lyrics and distasteful clapbacks.

These celebrities influence us. They surround our everyday lives, our actions are a reflection of theirs. Why wouldn’t we pay them the attention they were so clearly destined to have?

The exact reason is just that. These celebrities hold uncomfortable (sometimes undeserved) levels of wealth and power. These instances of drama are, at least in the case of “Hiss” versus “Bigfoot,” embarrassingly insignificant.

Indulging in these conversations not only gives celebrities the clout they crave – causing them to continue in internet disputes simply for attention – but also promotes these behaviors to their audiences, the youth included.

Celebrities, caught in a bubble and flawed in their perceptions, attract unnecessary attention over pathetically piddling aspects of their lives. And we continue to succumb. It’s inevitable, so what do you think: “Hiss” or “Bigfoot”?