The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

SPORTS: New additions to girls track shows promises of improvement

A+pair+of+running+shoes+specifically+designed+for+distance+runners+at+Plainfield+Easts+179m+indoor+track.+
Dominic Taylor
A pair of running shoes specifically designed for distance runners at Plainfield East’s 179m indoor track.

The Bengals’ track season kicked off on February 10th at Wheaton North. This season the girls team especially wants to continue sustaining their program’s success.

Last year, East Track was able to place high at many meets, indoor and outdoor, while also having many athletes continue their athletic careers at the next level. Six different athletes were able to pursue collegiate track. Plainfield East Track is trying to maintain this success going into this year.

“To have that many girls be that good, I’m so excited about it, and I’d love to have that happen each year because it really puts our program on the map,” said Lauren McNicholas, Girls Head Track Coach. 

The Bengals placed an astounding 11th place at state last season in the 4x100m, running a time of 48.56 seconds, and they will likely improve due to their new coach and track and field legend Tom Boatright.

“Really, really happy about my coaching staff this year. Having a nationally recognized coach like Boatright join us out of nowhere, and so many schools had been begging him to join as their coach, but he chose East, and I still can’t believe it’s happened,” said McNicholas.

Boatright coaches the Aurora Flyers Track Club in the summer, which is nationally ranked and has produced several professional athletes.

The key to a strong team is a strong sense of community, which the team continues to emphasize.

“All the girls have personalities, and they’re really supportive at the meets,” said Courtney McDonald, junior. 

McDonald ran a time of 12.70 seconds in the 100m and 26.23 in the 200m, thanks to the support of her teammates.

Community is not only something that helps mentally for an athlete, but it can help their performance as well. The Bengals want to continue to build team chemistry, especially in relay events where they must work together to get the best time possible.

“I definitely want to improve how I handle my relays. I think I did pretty good in the relays, but I think just growing more team bonds with the relay team would help us with baton passes,” said Amber Bills, sophomore.

By building this team chemistry, the team wants to really create something special during the season.

“I definitely think we’re going to be up there. We’re a good track team. I want when people see us walking into a meet they’ll be like ‘oh those girls are fast’ if we’re in a relay they’ll be like, ‘we have to worry about them,’” said Ayla Lucas, junior.

Overall, Plainfield East is excited to continue to work hard and improve performances during the indoor season and going into the outdoor season.