The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

FEATURE: Love emerges in various forms, redefines typical standards

Love+bringing+the+world+together.+
Edward Hambric
Love bringing the world together.

What is love? That is the question many people try to figure out throughout their lives. Love is defined in the dictionary as an intense feeling of deep affection, but for many people love can mean different things to them. 

“Love means to me that you just feel passionate for someone and you feel a sense of connection with someone. It doesn’t have to be intimate,” said Tyler Tamburino, senior at Plainfield East. 

Even though love is seen as an affectionate word, people don’t have to be attracted to someone to love them. It can be a feeling of connection to similar interests, personal stories, and more that can make a person love someone for who they are and not how they look. 

With how fast the world is today, people may get caught up in not showing others the love they may need. 

“If we provide everyone with a safe place for who they are, that is the best demonstration of love. So I think that you get the most out of people when they feel comfortable and if we provide that loving safety for others, that’s going to be something that drives our society forward,” said William Murphy II, teacher and coach at Plainfield East.

By welcoming others it gives them a place of belonging and comfortability that they may have never experienced or had before. The more people can openly accept others for who they truly are, the more peaceful and loving this world can be. By building off of this people can show and improve their love for others.

“Making an effort for people is a great way to love another better,” said Christe Aceron, senior at Plainfield East. “Even the smallest things, like giving them a glass of water when they come over, is a way to show that you care for them.”  

By people putting effort into their love for someone, they will make that person feel more appreciated, cared for and seem as if they matter to them. For some, this may come easy, but they might struggle with how to love themselves. 

“Unless we look at ourselves with love, it’s impossible for us to truly pour from a full cup,” Murphy said. 

It is very important that people love themselves for who they are. At the end of the day, they will always have themselves to care for and be proud of. The biggest question of them all is where does this love come from?

“Love comes from anywhere you want it to. It can be in the darkest or lightest places, but it is your job to see it, and it is different for everyone,” said Taylor Gaimari, teacher at East.

People love for different reasons, whether that be intimately in a relationship, loving and caring for their family, or just enjoying time with a close friend. Love comes in many forms; no matter where it may come from or mean to people, it’s truly a special feeling.