The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

NEWS: Local high school gains recognition from CBS

Dominic Taylor
ESN journalists Daniella Torres and Mia Graske interview CBS reporter, Marissa Perlman, on Mar. 15 about her reporting career and her story on Plainfield East High School.
ESN journalists Daniella Torres and Mia Graske had the opportunity to interview CBS Reporter Marissa Perlman about her career and interest in Plainfield East High School.

On Mar. 15, Plainfield East High School (PEHS) was chosen to be featured on CBS 2 School Spotlight during the morning and afternoon broadcast. 

“This is an opportunity for us to highlight different districts across the Chicago area, and we’re really trying to get into different neighborhoods to meet the community. What makes each school unique? What makes each student body unique? It’s a way for us to just showcase the positive things that these districts are doing,” said Marissa Perlman, CBS News Reporter and Multimedia Journalist.

Staff viewed this opportunity with gratitude, and it was a chance for students and staff alike to be recognized for their efforts.

“PEHS students should feel special that we were the ninth school highlighted in the suburbs. It goes to show that the work they put in is appreciated and should be appreciated in different ways,” said Dr. Michael Romeli, Assistant Principal of PEHS.

Students performed mock ceremonies to be shown in the broadcast. Members of the marching band, color guard, dance and cheer teams, choir, National Honors Society, and the Bengal Athletic Leadership Committee attended a pep assembly at the beginning of the day to kick off the spotlight. Select students were also featured in a mock state send-off for DECA, Speech Team, Mathletes, Science Olympiad, and Special Olympics.

Certain classes were visited throughout the day to interact with CBS and possibly be selected for an interview.

Member of the Student Council and senior Marcos Barerra was one student chosen to represent the PEHS student body.

“When I first found out I was going to be interviewed on CBS, it was both rewarding yet nerve-wracking. I’ve never done anything like it. When the day finally came, I was so nervous I’d say the wrong thing. When it came down to it I knew I just had to say what I felt about being a Bengal and I could finally speak about how much Bengal pride our school really does have,” Barerra said.

PEHS students and staff are grateful for the recognition and are proud to display their Bengal pride.

“We want to thank everyone who was and wasn’t involved in the daily broadcast. PEHS is truly a special place and we all should take pride in it. The Chicagoland area is now aware of how special this place is to the people who come here every day,” Dr. Romeli said.

**Watch the embedded video for the full story!