The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

NEWS: Holi jumpstarts with a splash of color

Camila Khatib
Students throwing color to celebrate Plainfield East’s first Holi Festival on April 19.

On April 19, the Desi Student Association hosted Holi, a traditional Hindu Festival celebrating spring and love, on the grounds of Plainfield East High School

Holi is a two-day-long festival celebrating the triumph of good over evil and love. It dates back centuries and has origins embedded in Hindu mythology, from stories of Hiranyakashipu, Prahlad, and Holika to the love story of Radha and Krishna, inspiring the throwing of color. 

“It’s a fun holiday where friends and family can throw colors at each other and have fun,” said Vyom Modi, sophomore. 

This event marks the changing of seasons and brings the community together. It does not matter if you know others there or not; it’s encouraged to let the colors fly and paint everyone in vibrant shades. The throwing of colors is a common favorite of the event, both a fun and meaningful way to encourage engagement in the community. 

This event is meant to bring the community together for a fun activity, but also educate on the significance of said activity in South Asia, specifically to our Hindu population,” said Shaan Doshi, student leader of the Desi Student Association. 

The introduction of Holi was one of the Desi Student Association’s largest accomplishments this year, leaving the hope that future members will keep the event going and help it grow. Current members hope this event will continue to grow while sticking to its principles, and remaining a fun and educational event. 

Doshi expresses his hopes for Holi’s future at East.

“I hope this becomes one of Plainfield East’s large events, which I personally see it becoming,” Doshi said.

As Holi hopefully grows, it will join the Multicultural Fair as one of the few ethnic events hosted here at East. The growth of these events opens the possibility of more cultural events being hosted at East, spreading a fun and educational experience for students and staff alike.

Camila Khatib describes it as “a bright and colorful experience that I wish to experience again” and “a really fun way to get people involved in Desi culture.”

Holi appears to have been a success, leaving a lasting impression on students.