The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

FEATURE: Senior Anna Jenkins leaves behind legacy

HP Photography
Anna Jenkins, at Plainfield East, making saves and paving a way for herself.

Plainfield East senior Anna Jenkins will take her extensive talents to Marquette University, where she plans on majoring in biomedical science and playing Division 1 soccer. 

Jenkins surmises that Marquette is the best option for her because of the team environment and the school’s culture. With her degree, she hopes to one day become a pediatrician. 

Since her freshman year, her athleticism and grit have shown coaches she can play at the next level, so her announcement of commitment was not shocking. 

For most athletes, thinking about the next step can seem disheartening, but Jenkins believes that freshmen should not shy away from the recruiting processes. 

“I was very consistent with emailing and talking to coaches. It took years for me to get where I wanted to go,” Jenkins said.

Prioritizing time is the most effective way to succeed. 

“It all comes down to time management. When I’m at home and I have a spare hour I am going to use that hour to do my homework. Even if that homework is not due the next day, I may have a game tomorrow and will not have time,” Jenkins said, looking back on her high school career. 

Being an athlete comes with a lot of stressors, and Jenkins acknowledges that.

“Things do not come easily, just the high school experience even outside of sports as well. Everything that you want you have to work hard for and consistently go at it every single day to get what you want,” Jenkins said. This motivation has ensured her success at the next level. 

Her talents do not stop with soccer. She is also a four-year varsity basketball player which is a prime example of her sheer athleticism she possesses. Jenkins consistently dominated on the court and field throughout her career. 

While at Plainfield East, Jenkins has received numerous achievements in soccer and basketball varsity athletics.  In soccer, she is a three-time defensive player of the year and a three-time all-conference player. In basketball, she is a two-time defensive player of the year. To say she is talented would be an understatement. 

Women’s college athletics are currently at an all-time high. In light of recent events with the NCAA Women’s March Madness, female athletes are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve. 

Jenkins is hopeful for the future of female college athletes. “I hope for more engagement with women’s sports,” Jenkins said.

Young girls all across the world look up to athletes for hope. Jenkins says that throughout her childhood, she always looked up to Hope Solo, a former US Women’s National goalie. In recent times, more young girls are looking at college athletics, and Anna Jenkins will undeniably be one for young players to look up to. 

Jenkins has done amazing things at PEHS and will continue to take the next step in her life to accomplish her dreams.