EDITORIAL: Swooning or snoozing for Benson Boone

Benson Boone rollerblades on the cover of his new album Fireworks & Rollerblades.
Teresa Ensenat
Listen to Benson Boone’s debut album Fireworks & Rollerblades released on April 5, 2024 — out on all platforms.

Since the release of his hit single “Beautiful Things,” Benson Boone has been the talk of not only social media platforms and record labels but also local high schools.

MOXIE, a company that works with celebrities to send media to student newspapers, contacted Plainfield high schools with a package containing PR from none other than rising star Benson Boone. The package included bookmarks and calendars, advertising the release of his single. Later on, Plainfield East received another package, this time with merchandise for Boone’s new album Fireworks & Rollerblades. 

With his music quickly gaining traction on social media platforms such as TikTok, both lifelong and newfound fans revel in Boone’s popularity. His unique and powerful vocal talent draws listeners in, who find solace in his relatable lyrics. His music expands further on the separate elements of pop by working with his ability to synthesize percussion instruments while also respecting their separate sounds. 

Nonetheless, there lies an unsettled debate – especially among the East Side News staff – about whether Benson Boone deserves the praise he has suddenly acquired. 

Is he really that good? Or is he just another cute boy with a microphone?

The truth is, Benson Boone is undeniably talented. His range is similar to that of Greta Van Fleet’s legendary lead singer, Josh Kiszka. And if you’ve ever heard Kiszka sing, you know his incredible vocal strength goes unmatched in the realm of all things loud. Boone’s parallel ability to both powerfully belt out strong notes and continue that same fullness in even the smallest of moments renders him a master of his own voice; he harbors a skill most singers simply do not. 

We can all agree a good voice is nothing without influential lyrics building its foundation. Luckily, Boone is freshly legal at the ripe age of 21. His life experiences are at an all-time whirlwind and as he continues to grow in the media’s eye, they will only fuel the storytelling his songs never fail to sing. His listeners can relate to the messages of macabre romance in “Hello Love,” the portrayal of questioning sorrow in “Slow it Down,” helplessness turned to freeing hope in “What Do You Want” – there’s a little bit of something for everyone.

In true Gen Z fashion, Boone delivers teenage angst through music that swells into the perfect opportunity to roll your windows down and truly feel the beat. Every song tells a story through the music’s way of ebbing in and out of melancholic ballad-like tunes and passionate crescendos in both voice and instrumental. Boone is an expert in gripping his audiences with music played through a more mature yet relatable coming-of-age objective.

Benson Boone is a being of unbelievably powerful vocal talent, genius lyricism, and meticulous beat production. A cute boy with a microphone, he harbors his talent to create the most beautiful things.

P.S. and he can rollerblade!