The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

NEWS: MSA completes homecoming with henna

Hoco+Henna+design+
Saadia Musani
Hoco Henna design

Muslim Student Association brought back Hoco Henna during this year’s football game. Plainfield East’s MSA is giving back to their community by showcasing their artistic abilities

MSA confirmed last year that they use plant-based henna cones in order to ensure all students, regardless of age and allergies, can enjoy getting their henna done. Plant-based henna originated all the way back to Ancient Egypt, where Cleopatra herself utilized henna to decorate and beautify herself. 

The money brought in from Hoco Henna is then donated to charities that support Islamic countries that may be struggling at the moment, such as Morocco, which was recently a victim of a large earthquake. 

Most of all, people do it because of the cause we’re doing it for, and this year, the proceeds are going toward the earthquake that happened in Morocco. It’s a heartwarming feeling to be able to raise money for other people who are going through something like this,” said Saadia Musani, Henna artist, MSA member, and sophomore.

Not only does Hoco Henna allow MSA to fund charities, but it also allows them to share Islamic culture with the student body. Henna is a special part of the lives of club members, it’s engraved in their culture and daily lives.

“It’s something which is very common in my culture, and I would say that’s what makes it special to me, and seeing other people being interested in henna also shows the importance of culture,” said Sanjat Prithivirajan, henna artist, MSA member and sophomore.

Hoco Henna fuels student’s creativity to blossom as they develop new ideas for designs. Henna designs vary in pattern, shape, and size. Some are small and only fit the hand, while others cover an entire arm. 

“I don’t know how many opportunities students really get to do art for their peers. I think there are art classes that you kinda do for school, for a grade, but showing their artistic ability to their peers is a unique thing that you don’t get the chance to do too often. So, it really boosts creativity because there’s no assignment, there’s no rules to go along with it,” said Jenna Jeffirs, club sponsor and US History teacher.

Many members of MSA believe the celebration of culture through Hoco Henna should become a tradition. Stop by MSA every Friday and get the chance to learn more about the world of Islam.