The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

FEATURE: Girls’ athletics deserves as much recognition as boys’

Lexi Sepulveda drives with the ball at a home game against Joliet Central on Nov. 30, creating an exciting atmosphere that girls athletics at PEHS as a whole embodies. PEHS won 85-60.
Joliet Herald
Lexi Sepulveda drives with the ball at a home game against Joliet Central on Nov. 30, creating an exciting atmosphere that girls’ athletics at PEHS as a whole embodies. PEHS won 85-60.

Girls’ athletics generates an electrifying environment leading to breaking school records at Plainfield East High School. With the hard work put in, PEHS girls’ athletics deserve more attention than what is given.

The PEHS girls’ basketball team is a prime example of this: 

“We are just a fast-paced, exciting team. We play fast, we score a lot of points. Last year we set records all across the board with most points scored for not just the girls team, but for the school. Boys and girls, both for an overall season and individual games. We try to create a style of play that is fun,” said Tony Waznonis, assistant athletic director and girls basketball coach.

Unfortunately, this gets overshadowed by boys’ athletics.

“It’s not talked about as much. The themes aren’t made as prevalent. I’d like our team to be more recognized. Last season we lost one conference game total, conference champions, and I feel like it wasn’t talked about. It needs to be a student-led thing to get the atmosphere up and going,” said Maddie Cyranek, basketball player and senior.

Likewise, PEHS girls’ wrestling also contributes to having a fun environment and new opportunities.

“It’s very fun, everyone in there is very much there to have fun and learn. Being a first-year wrestler, it’s a chance to try something new. We’ve had the most girls that we’ve had, which is awesome, we have a lot of fun learning,” said Julian Ochoa, assistant wrestling coach.

This ambiance of PEHS girl’s sports is exciting for both athletes and the audience, creating a remarkable experience for all. However, girls’ sports at PEHS lack the support that boys’ sports receive.

“[Girls] Wrestling is kind of a new thing. It’s like, ‘Is this an actual thing, or are they just doing this to be more inclusive?’ There’s a whole stigma around wrestling and some other sports,” said Koal Bucholz, girls wrestler and sophomore.

Female athletes at PEHS note that they continue to work hard and do the same things as male sports do.

“Something I’ve never quite understood is why all the attention goes directly to the guys. Girls are honestly doing the same thing, playing basketball. There’s not much of a difference, just the gender of who’s playing. It’s the same game, and if guys bring the energy, it’s going to be the same energy,” Cyranek said.

Considering all factors, PEHS faculty highlights that often, people need to see for themselves:

“Perception doesn’t meet what reality is. Sometimes it’s getting people to see the product first. When you see the excitement and how talented our players are, I think people want to see more,” Waznonis said.

Watch the PEHS varsity girls basketball at their next home game on Jan. 14 against West Aurora, and PEHS girls wrestling at their next home match on Jan. 14 against Plainfield South High School.

PEHS should strive to support our girls teams and provide them with the attention that they work hard for and deserve.