The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

NEWS: Club arises to prepare enthusiastic educators of tomorrow

Sadie Hamilton
Future Bengal teachers giving an informational lecture.

Educators Rising at Plainfield East is an academic and competitive club that facilitates preparation for the future in a fun way where students can bond over the shared passion of striving to become educators.

The club maintains a schedule of two meetings every month, where they discuss things such as lesson planning, writing children’s books, and many more. These discussions not only prepare them for competitions, but also a future in the education field.

“I chose to join Educators Rising because I wanted to be a teacher for a very long time, like I know that’s what I wanted to do since I was younger. So I wanted to join Educators Rising not just for the scholarships but also the chance to learn what I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life,” said Carter Murray, junior.

The club helps students gauge what they want to specialize in for their future careers.

“It [Educators Rising] can help anyone who wants to go into any kind of education; It could be high school, middle school, elementary school,” said Sydney Chipman, senior.

Educators Rising is a versatile tool students wishing to become teachers can use to better prepare themselves for the job in the future. The club helps to motivate students to step up and become the Educators of the future.

Educators Rising provides an environment where students’ enthusiasm for educating can thrive

“I hope that the students take away excitement about their future careers,” said Elizabeth Pankau, teacher and sponsor.

The competitions students in Educators Rising participate in provide helpful experiences that they can put towards their future. With many different categories and grade levels, there is something everyone can get use out of.

“You participate in competitions where you can do lesson plans and present them, you can make a bulletin board, you can make a children’s book, there’s just a bunch of education-related topics that you can go present and compete with,” Chipman said.

There are several competitions that give students an idea of what they must do to get a teaching job.

“There is a competition where you do a job interview, there is a competition where you get questioned on certain rules teachers must abide by, and I think that’d be cool for me to get that first jump,” Murray said.

Educators Rising gives students a chance to meet like-minded individuals who share the same passion as them, creating a group of people striving towards the same goal: becoming the best educator they can be.