Head Table and Jesters perform Silent Night on Dec. 2 at 2:30.
Nikki Cagampang

NEWS: 16th century Madrigals begins holiday celebrations

Madrigals: a Renaissance acapella music style. A holiday celebration featuring acting, singing, and instrumentals, all rooted in the 16th century. At Plainfield East: a beloved tradition near and dear to the hearts of those involved.

Students are able to audition for one of four ensembles: Ladies in Waiting, Knight’s Chorus, Queen’s Court, and Head Table. Along with that, there are two bands: Madrigals Recorders and Madrigal Brass. For students looking for something less musical, there are a number of acting roles to audition for.

Choral director Alexandria Kordelewski stresses the importance of getting everyone involved, “The biggest thing that I always focus on is that we find ways for so many people to be involved with Madrigals. With our four vocal ensembles and Madrigal actors, we want everyone to audition who is interested.”

With its grandeur, both directors and students find Madrigals to be the perfect holiday experience. “There’s no other performance where we get to transform the backstage into something so beautiful and almost ethereal. The atmosphere makes Madrigals a truly special experience for all.” said Kelly Grba, choral director and PEHS alumnus. 

Something this year’s King and Queen agree on. After an audition process, Alex Medina and Ethan Drover stood at the top of the Head Table, admiring their final Madrigal performances as seniors at PEHS.

“I love music and I love the environment. It is such a safe community that I know I can unapologetically be myself. Madrigals has taught me to be more confident, which is something I struggle with. But I have definitely grown from the personal I was before.” said Medina, this year’s Queen Anne.

“[It’s] the coolest thing we do all year. It’s truly something special. Beautiful music and decorations that get you right into the Christmas spirit. But beyond that it has been a place for comradery and family. Without mads [Madrigals] I would be a completely different person.” said Drover (King Henry).

As the Queen’s Court and Head Table sing, the Ladies in Waiting immerse themselves into the audience to serve figgy pudding (sweet bread pudding) and wassail (hot apple cider) to the audience. With all its moving parts, Madrigals is put together in just one week of rehearsals. 

Grba emphasizes that there is a place for anyone interested in being involved, “Come join us! Anyone who is interested in joining choir is welcome. No previous experience needed.”

When asked what advice he would give, Drover said, “Do it. Be involved. Be vulnerable. You won’t regret it.”