The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

EDITORIAL: Displays of affections differ; keep love simple

Jasmine Ortiz-Richardson
Graphics to show the 5 love languages.

Love languages are growing more and more relevant each year. It is very simple: it is the way people express their love.

The growing ways of expression leaves the question: should there be a new love language? No, there is no need to add more when the five. We have covered most, if not all, of the different ways of expression.

Currently, there are five love languages. Words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. Who is to say that those five are enough? 

Love languages were populated through Gary Chapman’s book “The Five Love Languages.” The book dove deep into how these love languages work, and as more people began reading it, love languages became more common. 

Today, it’s easy to figure out a person’s love language. Quizzes, articles, and videos, for example, can tell others about how they express love and what that says about them. The concept has become so popular that it has become a thing people should know upon or before entering relationships. It’s become an expectation that people should know their love language or just how they show their love. 

Are these five enough? People have argued that we could have more love languages, such as laughter, activity, appreciation, emotional, financial, intellectual, physical, and practical.

The media is treating love languages like labels when, in reality, they are all umbrella terms. For example, when couples spend time together, they laugh, they do an activity together, and they are emotional. When couples give gifts, they are spending money or effort to show their appreciation. 

Love languages are a fun way to discover how a person might express their love, but they are only a general term. Therefore, no, a new love language is not needed.