BSAs display case near main entrance at Plainfield East commemorating Black History.
BSA’s display case near main entrance at Plainfield East commemorating Black History.
Daniella Torres

FEATURE: Student body celebrates Black History Month

February: the month of pink bows, chocolate flowers, and Cupid’s arrows. The month to celebrate the blood pumping our hearts filled with love – and to recognize the blood spilled in a struggle for equality. 

In 1926, historian and author Carter G. Woodson began a celebration of Black Americans’ lives on the second week of February. His idea was later expanded in 1976 when Black History Month was established, encouraging Black Americans to be proud of their heritage and recognize their accomplishments. 

Celebrated each February, Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month, focuses the nation’s attention on contributions and sacrifices made by African Americans in a strive towards equality. 

The importance of Black History Month is emphasized worldwide as well as locally. Plainfield East’s Black Student Association (BSA) and African Student Association (ASA) primary focus is to create a space for enrichment and representation.

These clubs utilize their wide reach to focus on honoring not only African American icons but students as well.

“We’ve made announcements informing students of influential Black people and their contribution. We’ve done the display case two years in a row, and then every year we culminate the month with an activity where we go to JJC [Joliet Junior College] for their Black Teen Summit,” said Farrah Ellison-Moore, dean of students and BSA club sponsor.

“We have conversations about the things we endure and go through as a community. We talk about the past things we have struggled with and how we can move on in the future,” said Jacob Joiner, senior and member of BSA.

With clubs like BSA and ASA commemorating Black history, students are given a space to feel seen and heard.

“Black history is American history. I feel as if every month is Black History Month because there is so much influence in little everyday things that came from black people specifically. I also think about my ancestors and what they had to do for me to live the life I do in today’s world,” said Lindsay Bitner-Mitchell, senior and BSA student leader. 

Observing diversity and acknowledging the profound, and oftentimes grievous, history surrounding Black history cultivates a deeper appreciation of the sort. These conversations form an educated nation.

“Whether it’s by talking about historical figures or discussing stories we have heard from the media, we acknowledge the importance of Black people as a whole and their influence on everyone throughout the world,” Bitner-Mitchell said.

Recognizing these rich cultures holds the utmost importance to the students at East. 

“To me personally, I grew up in a household where I learned about my history a lot. I’m not misinformed about the things that we went through as a community and as a culture,” Joiner said.

The aspects of Black history are taught throughout February. Students, staff, and their families recognize the month as a celebration of both love and equality.