The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

FEATURE: Single people have mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day

This graphic shows man is sitting alone on a bench inside a building on Valentines Day as hes single with no one to celebrate with.
Javier Malacara
This graphic shows man is sitting alone on a bench inside a building on Valentine’s Day as he’s single with no one to celebrate with.

Valentine’s Day is a beautiful time of the year with love in the air and couples celebrating each other. The vibes are lovely, but can the same be said for single people?

On this holiday, couples showcase their love for each other with gifts, dates, and, nowadays, social media posts. How do single people feel with no significant other to do the same, or what alternatives are available?

First, Plainfield East senior Kevin Tchoffa reveals the feeling of jealousy seeping in because of all the couples that publicly showcase their relationships even more on Valentine’s Day.  

“Sometimes I used to get jealous of the relationships that others had before remembering to be grateful for the things I do have,” Tchoffa said. 

It’s very easy to feel envy or jealousy, but it’s important to be grateful for the relationships that a person has, as Tchoffa realized after his self-reflection. 

Additionally, Plainfield East teacher Jacyln Quinn believes that a reason single people can feel more pressure is because the holiday has become centered around couples celebrating their love rather than just relationships in general. 

“I think the pressure might come from the overall idea that it has to be a romantic holiday.  And you can’t get away from the advertising of it being a “couples” holiday,” Quinn said. 

Usually, when people are seen buying gifts or celebrating the holiday in other ways, it’s inferred they have a significant other in their life. In reality, those celebrations can be aimed at family or friends. 

“Social media creates a kind of pressure for you to get into a relationship because you see so many others in one,” said Javieer Hundal, senior.  

Social media has become a getaway for couples to show others that they’re in a relationship, which adds to the pressure of getting into a relationship.

On Valentine’s Day, couples rapidly post their partner on social media platforms. Single people feel forced because it seems that everywhere they look, there’s another couple that has the love they want to have one day. 

Senior Kweku Nkansah mentioned finding alternatives to celebrating the holiday instead of wishing he could fit in with the other couples. 

“While there definitely is an urge to have a relationship for the holiday, I instead celebrate the women in my family,” Nkansah said.

Valentine’s Day is always a special time to spend with others. The narrative around Valentine’s Day has forced single people to feel pressure and be envious of other couples. 

The holiday doesn’t need to be spent with just a significant other but can be celebrated with friends and family to showcase their love for each other. This special day isn’t just limited to couples, even though it may be portrayed that way. 

Most importantly, Valentine’s Day is about cherishing loved ones. Even after the day is over, that love should be shown no matter the occasion because a holiday isn’t necessary to showcase that.