The Student News Site of Plainfield East High School

East Side News

East Side News

East Side News

SENIOR STAFF GOODBYE: Javier Malacara Jr

Javier+Malacara+Jr+plays+in+an+away+Varsity+basketball+game+against+Romeoville+High+school%2C+February+2023.+
Javier Malacara
Javier Malacara Jr plays in an away Varsity basketball game against Romeoville High school, February 2023.

My high school experience has come and gone in a fast four years.  It started roughly in a world where Zoom was the only way students and teachers could have classes because of the pandemic. That definitely left lasting effects and forced me to readapt to school life once we returned to in-person classes. Even then, everyone was required to wear a mask, which was something to get used to. That feels like a lifetime ago, as my graduation is in less than a month. 

As anyone, a connection is built when, for 9 months, five days a week, and 7 hours a day for four years, someone spends their time in a certain place surrounded by the same people. It will be a weird adjustment period when the next school year arrives, but the memories I’ve made and connections with people won’t be forgotten. Every year, there was a class I looked forward to and people I loved to see. 

I know that even after I graduate from Plainfield East, the impact my teachers have made will stick with me. I was grateful to have such great people teach me throughout my 4 years at East. The teachers are responsible for the welcoming environment anyone feels when they walk into the building. 

It’s definitely exciting but also nervous to know that a new chapter in my life will begin. The school has prepared me for the next steps as a young adult by teaching me many personal and life skills. A part of me is going to miss Plainfield East and the people that I get to see every day, which I’m forever grateful for. 

This high school has been a major factor in shaping me into the person I am today. I’m ready for my near future and seeing new faces in college. The adjustment period will be tough, but it’s an exciting time to study my passion. 

This is goodbye to Plainfield East and all the teachers I’ve had the pleasure of building relationships with. I have an exciting future ahead of me, but not without memorable experiences at Plainfield East.