Sports Spotlight:

Braden Chipman

Emily Mendez, Staff Writer

What is your favorite aspect of tennis ?

“A lot of what makes it a very interesting sport is that it’s one of the few sports that doesn’t have a timer. So you can take it one point at a time and as slow as you need to. It’s up to you. You can’t get timed out. And when I lose, it’s just all on you. I think that’s good for team morale too because you don’t have anything you have to face down.”

What do you look forward to this season?

“Definitely conference. I feel like this year our team has been a lot stronger than it has been in the past. We have a very stacked varsity as in a lot more talent than in our previous years. Right now our team is nine – one overall; nine wins, one loss. So we are doing a lot better than we ever have been.”

Do you plan on playing in college? 

“Yeah definitely.”

Do you have any game superstitions or lucky routines/warmups?

“What my coach told me a couple years ago: think about point then game then set then match. If you can win a point, you can win a game. If you win a game then you can win a set. And if you win a set, then you can win the match. Taking it little by little and making sure that you know what you can do to get to the next step.”

What interested you in tennis?

“I just thought it looked fun, so I just kind of joined on impulse my freshman year and just got hooked on it.”

How is this season different from others? 

“We definitely have a lot more talent this season just overall in varsity. Other than that, our coaches have been focusing a lot more on us just letting loose during games. And focusing more on what we can do instead of what our opponents can do. I believe that it has been making our team a lot stronger as a result.”

How long have you been playing for?

“Just the four years I’ve been in high school.”

Do you play doubles or singles; are you first or fourth?

“Doubles. I was first doubles last year, and this year I play second doubles.”

Who inspired you to play tennis and who keeps your interest alive?

“I just kind of joined because a couple of my buddies were going to do it freshman year. … So those two have really helped me stick with it.”

If you could compete against any tennis player, dead or alive, who would it be?

“If I had to pick one it would probably be [Australian tennis professional] Nick Kyrgios.”

What’s the team dynamic like this year?

“There is a lot more hype than there has been in the past. Lots of yelling, … pumping teammates up, getting ready and pumped up for everything that we are doing. It’s a very chaotic atmosphere, but it’s also a very welcoming one.

What are your goals for this season?

“I have not made it past round one in conference yet so I am definitely trying to win the whole thing this year because I think me and my partner definitely can. For the team, I know there are definitely, especially in varsity, a couple teams that can pick up medals this year which we haven’t been known for doing in the past. But like I said earlier we’re making waves this year, so I’m sure that we can do it.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

“For anyone even vaguely interested in joining tennis in the future, boys or girls, go ahead and do it. We have a great environment with helpful coaches who will make sure the team is doing all it can to succeed. I’ll be leaving this team in good hands with our current sophomores and juniors.”